View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profilehttps://vrflightsim.wixsite.com/mysite

Motor Driver card + Software suite for DIY FlightSim Force Feedback

on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:06 pm
As much as I'm happy using an existing Sidewinder 2 joystick electronics I would like to investigate different options too. Take a look at  XSimulator.net  and what this bunch of nutters achieved in just few years time..  I think it's shame that flight sims are somewhat behind in terms of open source development therefore I wanna suggest something.  
If there is anybody who understands electronics, PCB design or programming please join in the conversation..

The idea is to develop "universal circuit board/motor driver" along with it's software suite capable of driving stepper motors for force feedback applications and perhaps even motion platforms.  I know similar product already exists but it was designed to work with one particular type of very expensive motors and the cost of driver cards is not very friendly neither.
Let's make something cheap and available to everyone. Something more fun, easy to setup and use.  We could probably start with simple Arduino board to see what options we have..
I'm not able to do this on my own but with the right group of enthusiasts I bet we could pull this of. There might even be slight chance of funding though  Cool

Jay

edit:
after some research I found that motion platforms are actually quite well covered by guys from XSimulator.net. It also looks like stepper motors are not the best choice for fine feedback movement so I guess DC motors will have to do the job..
Maybe something like this: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/smc3-arduino-3dof-motor-driver-and-windows-utilities.4957/
View user profile

Re: Motor Driver card + Software suite for DIY FlightSim Force Feedback

on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:21 pm
I guess you have seen this guy's work:

"*****bffsimulation.com/FFB-yoke-1.php"
Admin
View user profilehttps://vrflightsim.wixsite.com/mysite

Re: Motor Driver card + Software suite for DIY FlightSim Force Feedback

on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 pm
Thanks Pinello

I know about this project. In fact I'm aiming to very similar target here however BFF solution uses very powerful motors and one driver card for each axis plus communications card.
Despite it's genius design and simplicity, there's one big downside to it. The cost of the build!
I want to try something much cheaper and more "universal". Probably starting with arduino platform. It's cheap, relatively easy to learn and has huge community base..
I was actually in five stories book store yesterday, browsing through different books on the subject. I just don't know where top start though:(
So really ANY help is very appreciated guys..

Jay
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum