VR FlightSim
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ELK

Newbie 3D printer questions Empty Newbie 3D printer questions

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am
Hi.

I am embarking on my first 3D printer purchase, so I have the ability to build custom parts for my flight sim cockpit project (A Gimbal Cabri G2).

I can see there is a wide range of prices and machines available. As I only intend to create a small volume of parts I was thinking to dip my toe in the water with a cheaper machine like the

LESHP High Precision Desktop Prusa i3 3D Printer with All Metal MK8 Extruder Nozzle Dual Air Vents, they are currently on Amazon for around the £200.00 mark.

If anyone is willing to share their experiences with 3D printers and whether staring with a cheaper printer is a good idea or not, and also what printers others are using, I would be very grateful for the advice.

Kind regards

Duncan
Jean-Jacques

Newbie 3D printer questions Empty Re: Newbie 3D printer questions

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 pm
Like Duncan, I also would like to 'build my own' flightsim parts that require a 3D printer. Having never even been close to a 3D printer, I'm at a loss as to where to begin. Yes I've viewed many YouTube videos many of which have been very helpful in understanding the concept. But as I found out recently, not all models are appropriate for printing, in our case, flightsim parts. I recently undertook to build a DIY Garmin 530 GPS that requires 3D printed parts and found someone locally who, for a fee, accepted to do the printing. However, after attempting to do the printing and considering the result unacceptable, he admitted that his printer could not deliver the precision required. I very much appreciated his honesty. So I'm considering getting my own but would not want to go through several printers to find the appropriate one to print parts required to build, for example, the GPS I referred to or Jay's interesting FFB yoke. So my question is the same as Duncan's. Could someone with experience in printing required parts offer guidance to us newbies. Your answers will be much appreciated.

All the best,

Jean-Jacques (call me JJ)
ELK

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:23 pm
Hi Jean

I ended up buying Tevo Tornado. Its basically a clone of the Creality CR-10S but has more steel fixtures and an independently heated bed via a dedicated AC power-supply. So it should better suited for the plastics like ABS, PC, and Nylon which will be used in my build. At least that was my thinking for going this route.It also has a 300x300x400 printing area so should hand most prints I'll need for my build.

I got a good deal at banggood, which was £60 cheaper than on Amazon. I brought the kit as I don't mind building up the printer from parts, which also saved some cash. The lead time is long 45 days, but that is giving me some time to learn Fusion 360 which I'll draw all my parts in and I hope print from? If I need additional software like splicer I'll cross that bridge once the printer is here and built.

I have a real set of Robinson R22 rudder pedals (I acquired from ebay) and I am currently drawing them up in CAD so I can start adding in the parts I need to build. The frame I am thinking to use extruded aluminium bar, as it as T slots which should make joining the pedal mounts to a breeze. The first printed part I'll make is a simple Potentiometer bracket that attaches to a pivot point I'll need to manufacture on the extruded frame. The Pedals have levers on the bottom that fit roller ball joints so I just have to make a swivel the other end of the push rods attach to.

I eventually will add force feed back to the whole system, but I also want to start small and simple. so for now the rudder pedals will be free and operate a single 5k Pot.

All that woffel was leading to I am aiming to print a simple part first, so I can practise and get the process of CAD design and 3D printing down before I try more complex of detailed prints. I'll let you know how the new printer goes once it arrives and I have this first set of prints done.

Jean-Jacques

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:43 pm
Hi ELK,

Wow, that was quick!

I very much appreciate the information you've shared with me. I'll check the model of printer you purchased and will look forward to reading you once your purchase has arrived and you've sampled its printing quality.

Thank you.

JJ
Jean-Jacques

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 pm
Oupps, I skipped a beat. That should have been 'Hi Duncan' and not 'Hi ELK'.
pkpierce

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 pm
what material do you recommend using?
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://vrflightsim.wixsite.com/mysite

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:21 pm
pkpierce wrote:what material do you recommend using?

PLA If you are new to the 3d printing. It will do for the basic v1 Yoke however ABS would have much better properties but it's not good material to start with as a beginer.

Jay
pkpierce

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:21 pm
awesome thank you. i really cant wait for the parts for yoke v2. i may wait as it looks for more impressive. when do you think it will be available?
You have really done something impressive here. thank you for all your hard work
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://vrflightsim.wixsite.com/mysite

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:52 am
pkpierce wrote:awesome thank you.  i really cant wait for the parts for yoke v2.  i may wait as it looks for more impressive.  when do you think it will be available?
You have really done something impressive here.  thank you for all your hard work

Thanks
What I think may be far from reality but I'm guessing that it will take a couple of months to have a working prototype ready.

Jay
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum